Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Football (Soccer) at Wembley Stadium

Tonight's Olympic football match was at world-renown Wembley Stadium.  The match was between Brazil and Great Britain.

The photo above shows a view looking at the stadium from the Wembley Park underground (subway) station at road level. The distance from the  station to the stadium is about a half to three-quarters of a mile.  There's a passage way under the road that also leads to the underground station.


Above are a couple of different views of Wembley.  The place is enormous.

There are no ticket takers at Wembley.  You scan your ticket before you can go through the gate.

And this is the gate.  It made me think of a prison.  And the screening I went through after passing through gate (which included a full body pat down)  probably wasn't any less thorough than you'd get at a prison.

Almost 71,000 fans were in attendance for the match; a record for Great Britain's women's football team.  Unfortunately, virtually all of the fans take public transportation home and there's only one for them to get back to the underground station.

This is a picture I took looking back at the stadium after traveling about a third of the way to the underground station.  Now I've been a part of big groups in stadiums, but I've never had to travel home with those same groups before.

This is a picture I took when I finally reached the passage way (after a number of starts and stops) that leads into the station.

And I took this picture on the stairs seen in the picture above as I looked back towards the stadium.  Talk about a mass of humanity.  I bet some of those folks haven't made it home yet. 

The interior shoot of the stadium above was taken from my seat so I was quite a distance from the pitch (field).  Didn't really any good action shots to speak of.  I do have some shots below of a penalty shot.  Great Britain took the shot, but the Brazilian goalkeeper blocked it.  The third shot (which has been enlarged so the quality is very poor) shows the GB's player reaction after missing the shot.



 Good news, though.  Great Britain won 1-0. 

No comments:

Post a Comment